Software engineering metrics for leaders to make their teams more effective.
Uplevel is the engineering insights solution that empowers teams by leveraging data from everyday tools.
Our end goal is to help you create the healthiest and most effective teams. We measure a multitude of data points that reveal indicators of work, focus, collaboration, and process. To do this, we look to the everyday engineering tools that software developers use to get work done like code repositories, messaging apps, and meetings (Github, Jira, Slack, Gerritt, Teams and more).
What sets us apart
We pride ourselves in being an insights solution that is deeply focused on empowering dev teams, starting with the individual.
- We are deeply focused on empowering dev teams, which means offering insights and solutions to every single developer, not just leaders. We want devs to feel just as empowered as managers and directors so they can “manage up” in their 1:1s and sprint retros, and avoid getting burnout in the process. For this reason, each developer, as well as manager and exec has a dashboard that has a tailored view specific to their role within the organization.
- We think that to truly be effective, you need work metrics and people metrics. We consider the human factors of dev work such as metrics that can lead to team burnout – such as context switching, interruptions, and deep work time. We show how this relates to velocity and overall engagement of teams, especially in remote working environments.
What we offer execs
To kick off our engagement, we first do an analysis of your entire engineering organization so that we can pinpoint what’s going well and where you might need help. We use these insights to tailor a launch plan of our developer dashboard to your team. You then continue to get access to the daily (refreshed daily) so that you can keep a pulse on the team.
Executive Dashboards available:
- Deep work
- Meeting time
- Slack interruptions
- PR review time
- Sprint health
A new feature of our Executive Insights allows executives to view the allocation of their engineering efforts across their entire organization. We help companies understand:
- Strategic planning: “Are we investing in the right priorities”
- Financial (headcount) planning: “Are we allocating headcount dollars to plan”
- Tax reporting: “How much of our work can we report for capitalization”
“Now I can view data across my teams, but also dig in to see what’s happening underneath and investigate to see where I need to act. I’m specifically excited to track PR cycle time for my teams and see how we can improve over time.”
– Charlie Black, Vice President of R&D Operations at Alvaria
What we offer teams
Managers and developers get access to their own dashboard views. Leaders can quickly identify bottlenecks in sprint health as well as team health. And developers like the transparency of having access and remaining in control of their own improvement.
Managers/Developers get access to:
- Sprint health and spring progress with a project explorer to get deep into PR and code blockers
- Sprint retrospective data
- 1:1 reports for each employee
- A deep dive of team health across deep work, context switching, burnout and more
Support your developers in reaching their potential while avoiding burnout.
View PR cycle time and detailed views of Git and Jira activity.
Use allocation data to load-balance your development team.
Manage developer health
View data on Deep Work, context switching, and burnout, all in one place.
“I think the tool itself upon seeing it is relatively comforting— it’s about making your life easier rather than ‘why aren’t you being more effective’. I think this tool is better than the competitors I’ve seen in the past because of the emphasis on more than just Git velocity. I definitely imagine us using this to frame how I’m investing on having us spending more time doing MRs, to get things down the process, and have better Jira hygiene.”
– Engineering Manager at Qualtrics
How Zipwhip increased Deep Work for better team focus
Zipwhip partnered with Uplevel to improve developer team health metrics and implement positive cultural changes across the company.
In a one-month period, every group at Zipwhip showed a noticeable increase in Deep Work.
“It was a natural fit as we were growing and setting goals around: “What is efficiency? What is effectiveness? What is engagement?” It’s a great tool for our first-line managers.”
– Marilyn Bond, VP of Engineering Execution Excellence at Avalara
Who’s Using Uplevel
We’re proud to collaborate with software engineering teams with people-first cultures that want to try innovative tools to increase effectiveness and well-being.
In some cases, such as with Zipwhip, Uplevel helped increase team Deep Work time by 35%. These leading companies represent just a few of our successful partnerships in supporting local and global engineering organizations.
Our Seattle-based team of developers, designers, and data scientists is ready to partner with your engineering organization. Let’s set up a 30-minute call to hear your needs and show you how Uplevel can help.
Building trust at all levels of the company
Aligning everyone in your org with insightful data can spark impactful conversations and equip developers with a greater sense of autonomy.
Feature launch: Team Deep Dive helps provide visibility for all team members
Managers and individual contributors are gaining an expanded team view. Team Deep Dive shows group and individual levels of Deep Work, Context Switching, and Interruptions.